Solicitors frequently offer free consultations – either by phone or in person. For individuals confronting family law issues, including separation and divorce these appointments offer real benefits. If you are looking for a family or divorce lawyer a free consultation could be the first step towards finding a solicitor you can trust and rely upon.
Here are six benefits of free consultations:
1. They are free so there’s absolutely no risk on your part. Added to that there is no obligation to instruct the law firm offering the appointment.
2. Meetings like these help build rapport with a potential legal advisor. Going to a solicitor at any time is a big step. When you are facing divorce it can be extremely stressful. A good divorce lawyer should immediately put you at your ease so that you feel comfortable asking and responding to questions. Sometimes there may simply not be any empathy between you and the solicitor and you wouldn’t be able to imagine working with him or her on a more long-term basis. But at least you will have found this out before making any commitment.
3. They give you the chance to form an impression of the lawyer. Are they impressive? Do they appear to have the expertise you are looking for? Ask yourself if the solicitor you meet is the type of person you would want on your side at a critical time.
4. Although time-limited, you can achieve a lot in a free consultation. If you prepare thoroughly you can come away with helpful advice. Be ready to ask about the things that really matter. Will you have to go to court? How much will it cost? What are the chances that you will have to move home? If you do this you can come away from the appointment with a degree of clarity about:
- key issues
- a broad sense of what you are entitled to in a settlement
- ideas about next steps
- thoughts on the kind of conversations you should be having with your husband or wife
- an understanding of the divorce procedure, including the possibility of mediation
5. You’ll find out how much your divorce is likely to cost. A good solicitor should be up front and transparent about his or her charges and be happy to discuss them at an initial consultation
6. Perhaps most importantly a free divorce consultation helps you focus your mind. You may have been thinking about the possibility of a divorce for some time. Actually consulting a solicitor will help you concentrate on the issues and appreciate the implications of what is a life-changing decision
Free consultations are usually limited to about an hour. So you won’t get into the fine detail of your case. But they do offer a real opportunity to assess the solicitor you are thinking of employing and to clarify any major concerns you have about the divorce process.