Mexico Divorce & Family Law

Mexico deals with divorce matters for its own residents.  Usually, to initiate a divorce, you must be a legal resident in Mexico.  Because Mexico operates a federal system, there can be a great discrepancy between different states and how they operate.

The quality of the system in Mexico is generally considered as variable.  If a party is undertaking litigation against a Mexican national in Mexico, where the Applicant is non-Mexican, then they may be at a considerable disadvantage.

Mexico is a signatory to The Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction, but its observance of its treaty obligations are generally considered weak.  For example, the US State Department of the United States government considers Mexico to be non-compliant.  Cases involving Mexican nationals taking children to Mexico, where there may be deemed to be a threat of the child being retained in that jurisdiction should be treated very seriously and immediate advice should be sought from us.

We are specialist international divorce lawyers and family solicitors and we advise clients who are either UK-based but originate from Mexico, or are living outside of the UK but have a connection with England or Wales.

Enquire Now

Got a question about Mexico? ask us now...

Kindly complete the form below to send an enquiry.
Your message will be sent to one of our solicitors.
Everything you send in this form is secured and encrypted the moment you submit it.
Discretion is guaranteed.

  • 1. Personal Information:

  • You do not need to provide a telephone number, however, it is helpful for us should our email response not be successfully delivered to you
  • 2. More Information

    Is there anything else you would like to tell us at this stage?
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

What our clients are saying:


I would like to take this opportunity to express a sincere thank you to Mr Brookman and his team for their most professional advice and first class service.