Brookman is a long-established, specialist family law team. Our central London base on New Fetter Lane is a short walk from Soho and the West End. We work with locals as well as those from the wider London area who are going through a divorce or who are facing another issue to do with family law. This might be a dispute over children or a financial matter relating to a previously agreed divorce settlement.
As part of DMH Stallard, a well-known law firm that was established more than fifty years ago we have considerable resources and expertise behind us. This enables us to provide a first-class service that’s efficient and value for money.
You can see what former clients say about us on our Review page.
FREE FAMILY LAW CONSULTATION SOHO
Our family law service for people in Soho is one that combines value with high calibre, practical advice. We’re happy to have a free initial conversation without any obligation. Even without knowing your full financial circumstances or the position regarding your children we can offer worthwhile, preliminary guidance to help you decide what steps you should take next.
To arrange a consultation, you can call us on 44 (0) 20 7430 8470 or simply click on Request A Free Consultation at the top of the page.
WHAT WE DO
Divorce raises complex issues. It doesn’t matter how many children you have or how much or little money is available to divide between you and your spouse. Reaching a final agreement is rarely straightforward. We deal exclusively with family law and related matters. Below we’ve listed some of the main areas you need to consider during your divorce
- Divorce and Separation – We advise clients in Soho and across the City of Westminster who are considering divorce or who have just begun the process. Where required we can assist with the administrative aspects of divorce, ensuring online applications are completed accurately and that financial claims are notified to the court at the appropriate time. This can minimise any delay in the process and avoid any negative impact on your financial settlement. After we’ve formed a full picture of your circumstances, we can advise you on the best way to proceed. Note that the divorce application is separate from any application you may need to make in respect of financial division and child arrangements.
- Financial Aspects of Divorce and Separation – There are no hard and fast rules about how assets are divided on divorce. Courts take multiple factors into account, including the duration of the marriage and your future earning capacity. At Brookman we deal with cases ranging from the relatively straightforward involving modest assets to the most complex cases centring on high value assets located in multiple jurisdictions. We bring decades of experience to the table, giving us the ability to advise you early on about what a realistic settlement might look like. Our insight and advice can help simplify and shorten even the most bitterly contested divorce.
- Pensions – Sometimes your pensions are not given appropriate weight in financial discussions. But they can be as significant a matrimonial asset as property. In our experience it’s increasingly the case that one spouse – often the financially weaker spouse – overlooks his or her full pension entitlement in the quest to get a final agreement. We’ll advise you of your pension rights and where necessary engage a specialist to accurately assess the value of any pensions that form part of the matrimonial pot. This ensures you get what you are due without jeopardising your final settlement.
- Issues That Concern Children – We’ll work with you and your spouse’s representative to reach an agreement about where your children will live after divorce, and what time they will spend with the non-resident parent. If agreement isn’t possible, we’ll apply to court for the necessary Child Arrangement Order.
- Pre And Post Nuptial Agreements – Increasingly recognised in England and Wales these agreements can help simplify matters in the event of divorce. In appropriate cases, they can also help safeguard family inheritances. We can advise on whether they might be appropriate for you.
- Divorce With An International Angle – Brookman is recognised widely for its experience in international divorces. The cosmopolitan mix of people who live in and around Soho and other parts of the West End means there is often international property to be divided on divorce, and if either spouse has a legal link to another country the divorce could potentially be decided outside of England and Wales. We advise on how this may impact your financial settlement and child arrangements. Because of our international experience we have often been asked to act in Hague Convention cases where a child has unlawfully been removed from the jurisdiction of England and Wales.
WHY CHOOSE US
Our clients in Soho include residents and businesspeople and other professionals working in the area. We believe they instruct us for a range of reasons, including:
- Many like the way our team is structured. We aren’t a faceless institution where your case might get lost among hundreds of others or where you’ll have to deal with multiple lawyers who may not always be across the detail of your case. Nor are we so small as to lack the resources and back-up to provide the truly comprehensive service you need. We have a substantial team of expert lawyers on hand to offer you the highest quality technical advice on all aspects of divorce, including on specialist matters like international divorce and complex financial matters.
- While we are only a short walk from Soho, we understand that you won’t always want to meet us in person. Many clients are happy to receive advice and updates by text, phone and Zoom and meet their advisor only when absolutely necessary. As a firm however we think it’s important to offer a personal, face to face service when that’s what the client wants so clients in Soho are always welcome to arrange in person appointments.
- We have earned Lexcel accreditation – the Law Society’s quality mark for client care – and are recognised by the Legal 500 directory. Many members of the team are recommended for their exemplary work in family law.
- As members of Resolution, we work towards finding a constructive outcome to your divorce no matter how conflicted you and your estranged spouse are over key issues. Our job is to remove any obstacles to a negotiated settlement and make what can be a complicated, lengthy process as smooth as possible for you. Where it becomes necessary to engage in full blown proceedings however, you’ll find us as tenacious as any family law team when it comes to protecting your position in court and outside it.
Or call us: +44 (0)20 7430 8470